Many dental problems, including gum disease and tooth loss are preventable. Here at Pennyhill Dental Care, the hygiene team strive to help you maintain the best standard of oral health.
Proper dental hygiene is crucial to maintain a healthy smile. Since many of us want to put across the right impression of ourselves when meeting new people, keeping our smile healthy is a top priority. With this in mind, we aim to provide each and every one of our patients with sound oral hygiene advice. This is particularly useful for those trying to quit the habit of smoking and for those who wish to promote healthy eating among their families.
Our services include the removal of plaque, in the form of a simple yet very effective scale and polish treatment. Our hygienists are also on hand to thoroughly check for any signs of gum disease and to issue treatment plans to those who wish to improve their overall standard of oral hygiene.
Pennyhill Dental Care is sure that you will leave the practice with a fresh and clean smile complete with strong and healthy gums.
Why Is Dental Hygiene Important?
Maintaining a good level of dental hygiene is of great importance for a number of reasons:
- It enables you to have healthy gums and teeth
- It reduces the need for any major dental work or surgical procedures
- It reduces the potential cost of dental work in the future that could be necessary as a result of gum disease
- It reduces other health related problems including diabetes and heart disease.
Gum Disease Related Problems
Recent studies have found a link between gum disease and serious health problems, including diabetes and heart disease. This means that the need for excellent dental hygiene is becoming even more important.
- Diabetes – It is commonly known that diabetes and gum disease go hand-in-hand. Unfortunately, new findings suggest that gum disease can actually cause the development of diabetes. Research suggests that this is due to serious gum disease dramatically altering blood glucose levels. This is a major factor that determines the development of diabetes.
- Heart Disease – On going research suggests another health risk link between gum disease and heart disease. Studies suggest that those suffering from gum disease are twice as likely to suffer from a coronary condition due to the increase in disease causing bacteria, which is found inside the mouth. This can be transported to the heart and indeed the rest of the body.
How to Maintain Good Dental Hygiene
Luckily, many of these issues are easily preventable. Simply maintaining a good standard of dental hygiene can help eliminate these risks. Here's how you can do this yourself:
- Brush your teeth twice a day, with good fluoride toothpaste, for at least 2 minutes each time.
- Regularly floss to remove any debris found in between teeth.
- Use a mouthwash to neutralise bad breath and minimise bacteria found within the mouth.
- Attend regular dental check-ups and remember to make an appointment with the hygienist at least once a year.
Here at Pennyhill, our caring team will do anything to ensure that your dental hygiene is at its absolute best. We aim to help you with any issues you have and can provide you with bespoke treatment plans to get you back on the right track.